White Mountains Swimming and Fishing
The White Mountains are home to a myriad of pristine lakes and river. The Ammonoosuc River, which runs through Bretton Woods, Twin Mountain and down towards Bethlehem and Littleton, is a very popular river for both fishing and swimming. Keep in mind, permits are required for fishing! Visit https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/licensing/3ways.html to find out where you can get one.
Swimming options range from water parks and pools to natural swimming holes and lakes. Among our favorites:
SWIMMING POOLS AND WATER PARKS
- White Mountain Aquatic Center (highly rated indoor pool!): https://volunteernh.galaxydigital.com/agency/detail/?agency_id=78087
- Town of Bethlehem Swimming Pool: https://www.bethlehemrecreation.com/pool
- Colonel Town Community Pool in Lancaster: https://coloneltownnh.myrec.com/info/facilities/details.aspx?FacilityID=14123
- The water park at Santa’s Village
- The indoor water park at Kahuna Laguna, North Conway
- Whale’s Tale Water Park in Franconia Notch
SWIMMING HOLES AND LAKES
- Upper Falls and Lower Falls in Bretton Woods are amazing swimming holes – both very scenic, as well! Upper Falls is a narrow gorge with cliffs on both sides. There are perches of various heights that the adventurous can jump from – but please be careful, as accidents seem to happen every year, and the river conditions can be variable. For those who don’t want to jump, a path leads to the pristine pool below the falls, where you can lounge on the beach area or go for a swim in the chilly water. Further downstream, near our “Moose Lodge and Cabins” property, Lower Falls has much gentler waterfalls; occasionally people will use the natural smooth rocks as slide – like a natural water park! Here too you can simply choose to enter the water in the lower pool.
- Echo Lake Beach in Franconia Notch is a full service facility
- Forest Lake State Park in Whitefield/Dalton
- South Pond in Stark, NH