White Mountains Dining
Whether you’re here to ski, hike or explore the raw beauty of our natural granite wonders, you may also want to spend some time enjoying the many fantastic White Mountains dining options that Bretton Woods, Franconia and the surrounding areas offer! From quick bites to stately dining rooms to quaint inn, the options are plentiful and the food is fantastic! On a personal note, when Aaron and I first moved up here, we made it a point to try a different inn every week. There’s nothing like the ambience offered by these small restaurants on a cold winter night or in the chill of the summer evening air, or the majestic views of the new Crystal Hills food court and Switchback Restaurants perched high above Bretton Woods! The list is in no way comprehensive, but it highlights our favorite places and provides lots of options for your stay at any of our area properties.
Please note: not all restaurants are open every day or every season. We recommend checking with them before you head out!
In Bretton Woods Dining (including Twin Mountain and Bethlehem):
Basic needs and quick stops:
- Bretton Woods Market and Deli at the Irving Gas Station: Close to the main entrance to the ski resort on Route 302 and has a good selection of items. They also sell sandwiches, hamburgers and other prepared foods – which are quite good! There is also a limited selection of alcoholic beverages.
- General Store at Living Water Campground/Catalano’s Pizzeria and Country Store: a cute country store in a real log building with basic necessities and gifts, attached to an excellent family restaurant.
- Foster’s Crossroads: a quick 4-mile drive west on 302 from Bretton Woods, this general store is well stocked with basic food items and necessities as well as a hardware store and souvenirs. There is also a limited selection of alcoholic beverages.
- YaYa’s Market: A relatively new addition, YaYa’s has quickly risen in popularity – and they deserve it! Their food is excellent and the options are wide ranging. You have to try the fried green beans! Visit their Facebook page to see their mouth-watering specials (they change weekly!)
- NEW! Caribbean Spice Cafe: authentic Jamaican cuisine in the heart of the White Mountains! Amazing and hard to find dishes like whole fish (try it fried – AMAZING!), goat curry and oxtail! Don’t let the outside fool you – it’s spacious and comfortable inside with a great Jamaican vibe, a great bar and even pool tables!
- The Main Dining Room at Omni Mount Washington: In the iconic Mount Washington Hotel, the newly renovated dining room offers breakfast and dinner with great views and a classic grand hotel ambience. Dinner requires reservations and adherence to dress code.
- Stickney’s Steak and Chop Pub, on the lower level of the Mount Washington Hotel, is a more casual way to enjoy the hotel’s historic ambience.
- The Bretton Arms Dining Room (temporarily closed) is one of our local favorites. Located in the historic Bretton Arms Inn, next to the larger Mount Washington Hotel, and an easy walk from our Fairway Village units, the Bretton Arms offers high end cuisine in a great small inn ambience. Reservations required.
- Crystal Hills (food court) and Switchback Grille (restaurant) are new options at the top of the Bretton Woods ski area, next to the arrival of the new 8-passenger gondola. Both are currently serving lunch, and the views are always amazing! Please note – both require a gondola ticket. Single round-trip rides are currently available for $21.
- Fabyan’s (temporarily closed) serves delicious pub fare in the setting of the old Fabyan’s train station.
- The Grille at the Golf Club House/Nordic Center has a limited menu, but it is more than made up by the views. In the summer, the outdoor patio is our favorite lunch spot!
- Munroe’s Family Restaurant in Twin Mountain is a diner style with great food. Their “Euro eggs” (scrambled eggs on croissant) are a breakfast favorite of mine!
- The Wayside Restaurant at the Wayside Inn is a relatively new addition, but it has quickly risen in popularity. In a few words, it’s awesome! In the summer, don’t miss the lovely patio by the river.
- Rosa Flamingo’s, in the heart of historic Bethlehem, offers great Italian fare and an amazing outdoor patio in the summer!
- Rek’lis Brewing Company in Bethlehem has become a local institution. Good food, great beer and live music… what more can you ask for?
- Cold Mountain Cafe is another personal favorite in Bethlehem. A small farm to table restaurant with great food!
- And while not really in this area, if you’re looking for an awesome experience while visiting Bretton Woods, we highly recommend dinner at the Notchland Inn, in Hart’s Location! This is our #1 choice for a romantic dinner. The inn is straight out of a fairy tale, and hosts Ed and Les will not let you down! Please note – this is a prix fixe, single seating dinner at 7 pm. Reservations required!
- For another inn experience on the Bethlehem side, also try the Adair Inn . Another option when ambience matters – and the food is great, too!
Franconia Dining (including Sugar Hill and Littleton):
Breakfast and Lunch:
- Polly’s Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill is our absolute favorite breakfast place – and a New England institution. The food is awesome, and the staff will make you feel right at home! Wait times can be long – we definitely recommend a call-ahead!
- Topic of the Town is our go-to for great breakfast in Littleton, but it’s also popular for a low key lunch or dinner.
- Right across from Topic of the Town, the Coffee Pot also serves a great breakfast in a low key setting
- Another great breakfast option is the Littleton Diner in – you guessed it – Littleton is a traditional diner; it’s been around for almost 100 years!
- Meadow Ice Cream – aside from ice cream – is a great lunch option in Littleton with fantastic seafood… and of course, ice cream! And speaking of ice cream, in Littleton also try Bishop’s ice cream – so good! Both are open in summer only.
- The Horse & Hound Inn in Franconia has great it ambience year round, indoor in the quaint classic New England Inn, and in the summer on the outdoor patio as well.
- If ambience is what you’re after, another great option in Littleton is the Beal House. In Franconia, head to Lovett’s Inn or just up the street, try the Sugar Hill Inn! Reservations are highly recommended.
- Any visit to Littleton wouldn’t be complete without a stop for pizza at Schilling Beer Company – which has several things going for it: 1) great pizza and a friendly staff 2) awesome outdoor seating overlooking the river and 3) a very popular microbrewery with some great beers on tap!
- The Little Grille in Littleton has amazing food for lunch and dinner, and on weekends, Brazilian BBQ! All of their Brazilian dishes are excellent, but the BBQ is definitely extra special.
- And if you’re in the mood for something different, Cheng Thai in Littleton has great Thai food and sushi, and a really nice bistro ambience! Or head across the street to Jing Fong for Chinese food in a simpler setting.
- If you’re willing to drive a few extra minutes, Rabbit Hill Inn in Waterford, VT (don’t let the address discourage you – it’s the next town over from Littleton!) is a top rated choice. Be advised – reservations are required and not easy to get! Also, please be mindful of the current travel restrictions to VT.
- Grandma’s Kitchen in Whitefield; Standard fare and a very popular breakfast spot!
- Inn at Whitefield – good food in a casual inn setting.
- The Waterwheel’s breakfast in Jefferson is a local’s favorite, and for a reason!
- Copper Pig Brewery in Lancaster has good food and of course, beer!
- The 1865 Wine Cellar at the Mountain View Grand is a more formal dining option with an award winning wine list.
- For a less formal at the Mountain View Grand, opt for the Harvest Tavern, offering breakfast, lunch and dinner in a beautiful indoor or outdoor setting!
- Libby’s Bistro and SAaLT Pub in Gorham are critically acclaimed choices. An unexpected gem in the Great North Woods region of New Hampshire!
Bartlett/North Conway Dining:
If you’re headed down the Notch for some sightseeing or a little bit of shopping (or maybe both!), you’ll be amazed at the variety of dining options that the Mount Washington Valley offers! These are just some of our favorites:
- Glen Junction Restaurant – a great breakfast option (currently under renovation)
- The Ledges at the White Mountain Hotel – great views and an awesome Sunday brunch with live jazz piano
- The Red Fox in Jackson – the best breakfast deal around: a large buffer for just around $10!
- White Mountain Cider Co. in Bartlett is a favorite dinner option for us; great food, and great ambience!
- May Kelly’s Irish Pub a quirky, fun pub with traditional Irish food. Great outdoor patio!
- Shalimar of India in North Conway has some of the best Indian food I’ve ever had; better than most places I’ve tried in Boston!
- Thai Nakonping has excellent Thai food
- Muddy Moose is a fun, very popular place near the shopping outlets in Conway
- Stonehurst Manor in North Conway – a really nice restaurant and in the winter, an ice bar!
- The Lobster Trap has amazing seafood. The fried lobster is one of my favorites!
- Not to be missed, the Moat Mountain Smokehouse is a local institution – great smoked meats, and a very popular brewery.
- Wildcat Inn and Tavern also deserves a try. Great ambience, and in the summer, the patio is idyllic!